Yes, you read that right, beer! A whole bottle in fact. This recipe comes from the Winter 2015 issue of the LCBO’s Food & Drink magazine.
If you love garlic and bread, and beer, you owe it to yourself to make this bread. It is delicious! This recipe makes a wonderfully dense and filling bread that has a crunchy crust. Yummy!
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 350 ml wheat beer
- 1 head roasted garlic – squeezed out of skin
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp butter – melted
- Preheat over to 375F
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Add beer, garlic and mustard and 1 cup of the cheese. Mix well until it becomes a soft dough.
- Form dough into a ball and transfer into a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Shape into an oval and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 45 – 55 minutes until the bread is light golden brown. Do the toothpick test just to be sure it is cooked inside. Enjoy!