If you love lentils you have to try this soup recipe. It is a delicious, filling and super easy soup recipe and it’s pretty healthy too.
I love lentils but don’t include them in my diet enough, so I’ve decide to change that and here’s the recipe I started with.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/4 cup rice (I used basmati)
- 6 cups boiling water
- Put lentils and rice in a large bowl and rinse with warm water.
- Saute the onions in a olive oil for about 5 minutes and add spices.
- Saute for a few more minutes until well mixed and add the boiling water, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rinsed lentils and rice, bring to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Skim any foam that forms on top.
- Optional: Blend the soup using a hand blender and garnish with fresh cilantro. Delicious!
Recipe Source: The Iraqi Family Cookbook – check out the other authentic Iraqi recipes on this blog, they are mouth watering.