OK, this headline might give the impression I am about to go on a rant, but I’m not. Promise. I don’t do New Year’s Resolutions because they just don’t work for me. If I need to quit something, or start something I usually just do it regardless of the date. And it’s about as effective as New Year’s Resolutions are in general. Sometimes more so and sometimes not so much.
I decided to start and eat a little healthier, a little less butter and deep-fried things and maybe curb the carbs a touch too. I could *never* cut carbs entirely, no way! I decided that well before the holidays but the holidays came and were quite the setback. So now, in the New Year, I am starting this (it’s still not a New Year’s Resolution, although you might think I’m just in denial…) eating healthier bit. And the first change was substituting tortillas with iceberg lettuce for tacos. I must say, it was delicious and quite filling, I didn’t even feel something was missing in that meal.
Taco Seasoning Recipe:
Mix all these spices for an awesome home made taco seasoning, no more taco packets!
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp Sriracha seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Beef Tacos Recipe
- Cook ground extra lean beef (about 1lb) in a skillet over medium heat until it is browned
- Add taco seasoning and about 2/3 cup water and simmer for about 5 minutes until the liquid gets thicker
- Serve on iceberg lettuce with fresh peppers, salsa, cheese, low-fat sour cream and whatever you might like on a taco