Shakshouka has a been a favorit of mine for a long long time, I haven’t made it in a while and when I came across a blogger friend’s recipe I decided it’s time to make it again. Shakshouka is essentially poached eggs in tomato sauce, but there are so many variations and you can easily adapt this recipe and make it your own. The original dish with just with tomatoes and chilis, but I like to add other veggies. You could add eggplants, feta cheese, mushrooms, whatever!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tomatoes – chopped
- 1 or 2 zucchinis – chopped
- 1/2 big onion – chopped
- 8 garlic cloves – chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp harissa or your favorite hot sauce
- 8 eggs
- Salt to taste
- In a large deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until golden.
- Add zucchini and saute for another 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and salt and saute until the tomatoes really fall apart.
- Add tomato sauce and harissa (or your choice hot sauce) and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Drop eggs into sauce, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20-40 minutes depending on how well you want the eggs done. (I don’t like runny eggs so I simmer for a long time)
- Serve with some pita or naan and enjoy!