The oatcakes came out great, there is a lot of cheddar cheese and zucchini in them but you can hardly taste it. It tastes like a yummy scone! The original recipe I found in an All You Need Is Cheese magazine and I’ve adapted it a little.
Cheddar Zucchini Oatcakes Recipe:
Makes 12 – 15 oatcakes
- 1/3 cup softened margarine
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 cups Canadian Orange Cheddar – grated and divided to 1 cup and 1/2 cup
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking whole grain oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini – about one large zucchini, peeled or not
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream butter with brown sugar. Add egg, vanilla and milk. Beat thoroughly until mixture is smooth.
- Mix flour with 1 cup Cheddar and all remaining ingredients (except the 1/2 cup cheese). Mix thoroughly.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake oatcakes in the oven for 15–20 minutes or until slightly golden. Let cool on a rack. Store oatcakes in an airtight container, away from humidity.