This was my first time making meatloaf, and I’m glad it was the first because it was quite delicious. My mom used to make the best meatloaf with hard-boiled eggs inside. Unfortunately she didn’t leave me that recipe so I am still searching for a good one (if you have one, please share it with me!). In the meantime I thought I’d try others, maybe I can adapt one and find that familiar flavour.
If you make this meatloaf be sure to make the tomato sauce as well, it really adds to the meatloaf and makes it that much yummier!
Harissa Meatloaf with Tomato Sauce Recipe:
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) harissa
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) dry couscous (or breadcrumbs)
- 1 egg
- 1 lb (454 g) lean ground beef
For Tomato Sauce:
- 1 cup (250 mL) bottled strained tomatoes, (passata)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) liquid honey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) harissa
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in harissa, garlic, coriander and cinnamon; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Scrape into large bowl; let cool.
- Add couscous and egg to onion mixture; stir in beef until combined. Press into 8- x 4-inch loaf pan, rounding top. Bake in 350 degrees F oven until instant-read thermometer inserted in centre of loaf registers 160 degrees F, 35 to 45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- While it’s baking, prepare the sauce. In small saucepan, combine strained tomatoes, honey, vinegar, harissa, garlic and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 3/4 cup, 10 to 15 minutes. I used a hand blender to make it more creamy.
Broccoli Salad Recipe:
- 1/2 a broccoli crown – cut into smaller chunks lengthwise
- 1 carrot – chopped
- 1/2 onion – chopped
- A few springs of fresh parsley – chopped
- 2 tbsp of your favourite creamy dressing (I used a yogurt garlic dressing)
- Pepper to taste
- Mix well and enjoy!