This is a recipe my sister makes to perfection. I’ve tried it myself for the first time but it just wasn’t as good as hers, she has the magic touch. It’s inspired by the Persian jewelled rice dish called Javaher Polow.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 onions – chopped
- 1-2 carrots – jullianed/shredded
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 tsp corriander
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tbsp chicken stock powder
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 2.5 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of walnuts – chopped
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and saute until golden.
- Add carrots and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice and walnuts and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add raisins, water, spices and chicken stock powder, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and continue simmering for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with more walnuts when senrving.