This recipe was given to me by a friend from work. I have made it several times and it’s always a hit with people. My friend also made the suggestion to add lime juice and lemon zest as well to make the lemon bars more tarty – and it is so good that way! I personally prefer tarty dessert since I don’t really have a sweet tooth so these are perfect.
- 1 cup butter – softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 10 graham crackers – crushed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lemons – juiced
- 1 lime – juices
- Zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, blend together softened butter,graham crackers, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup sugar. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and golden. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup flour. Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Pour over the baked crust.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes in the preheated oven. The bars will firm up as they cool. The bars are also good with raspberries, so you can add one pint of raspberries to the egg mixture.
- Let the bars cool before serving. Cut into squares and sift some icing sugar over them.