This time I cooked a recipe from a book my friend R.’s uncle wrote and published in the 60s: Cooking with Love and Paprika. This book is full of recipes I grew up on plus a lot more for me to explore.
Each recipe has a little story to accompany it, stories from old Hollywood because her uncle just happened to be big time producer Joseph Pasternak! Check out the recipe for this delicious dish below.
Chicken Paprikash Recipe
- 1 3-pound chicken cut into 8 – I used 9 chicken theighs
- 3 tbsp shortening
- 2 medium onions – diced
- 1 green pepper – diced
- 1 tomato – seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- green pepper rings for garnish – optional
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper
- Melt shortening in skillet and saute the vegetables until golden but not brown
- Add chicken and saute for 30 minutes
- Remove from heat and add paprika, coat the chicken well and let stand for a few minutes
- Add tomato paste and water, cover and return to heat
- Continue cooking for 15 more minutes and add more water if needed
- Place the chicken on a serving platter and strain the gravy over forcing the veggies through – I skipped this and just served the gravy with the veggie bits.