Fortunately, I love it. Because my iron is always low and I constantly need to eat things that are high in iron. The iron from meat seems to get absorbed better, and liver is packed with it!
This time it’s liver with sauted onions and mushrooms, with sweet potato mash and my kind of salad (lettuce free!).
Sweet Potato Mash
- 1 big sweet potato – peeled and cubed
- 1 small yellow potato – peeled and cubed
- 2 small carrots – peeled and cubed
- 4 garlic cloves – whole * Optional (I love garlic, but you can add less)
- Chicken stock powder or salt to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp milk
Preparation: Put all the ingredients (except butter and milk) in a large pot of water and cook until carrots are soft. Drain, return to pot and add butter and milk. Blend with immersion blender.
- 1/2 tbsp bacon fat (or any oil you want)
- 1 package chicken livers
- Cumin, salt and pepper to taste
Preparation: Heat bacon fat in frying pan until melted. Add livers, season and fry until no more blood come out when you cut it.
Onion & Mushroom Saute
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 large onion – sliced
- 1 cup white mushrooms – sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar and salt to taste
Preparation: Heat oil in frying pan. When warm, add onion and mushrooms, saute for a few minutes then add the vinegar and salt. Saute until onion is golden.
- 1 small bell pepper – diced
- 1 tomato – diced
- 1-2 small cucumbers – diced
- 1 shallot – finely chopped
- Dressing: 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, 1/4 tsp Cajun seasonings
Preparation: Mix everything together, done!