My friend brought me some drop scones his mom made because I did him a favour and picked him up at the airport. Picking people up at the airport turned out to be quite delicious that time. I had one drop scone and just *had* to have the recipe. It’s quick, easy and very tasty.
Makes about 20-22 scones.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 lb margarine/butter – softened/melted
- 1 egg beaten, place in measuring cup and fill up to 3/4 cup with milk or orange juice
- 2 cups icing sugar (for the icing)
- Mix margarine and dry ingredients (all but icing sugar)
- Add egg/milk mixture and fold in with spatula. forms a sticky dough
- Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet
- Bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes
- Prepare icing as soon as scones go into the oven
- Bring about 2 tbsp of water to a boil and add 2 cups of icing sugar
- Stir constantly to form a thick icing, add more water/icing sugar if too thick/thin
- Spread over scones while hot and let cool before eating.